Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Samples From New Canon EOS M Mirrorless

By now you must have read lots of preview of the new Canon EOS M mirrorless wonder, me? I am not very impress, then I discovered Canon actually posted some sample images taken by this point & shoot. Lets take a look ;)

Out of the 9 images they put up, only 4 are actually ready; the others are "coming soon".


Image 1 they labelled it under "Wedding" and was shot with their new pancake EF-M22mm f/2 STM lens @ f2.8 and ISO 100.



Impressed? Wonder if studio lights were used ;)

Image 2 also labelled as "Wedding" was shot with the new EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM zoom @ f8 and ISO 400.

Look like the sensor in the EOS M did a good job retaining the highlight detail of her white wedding gown. Both samples were shot in MANUAL EXPOSURE mode, why?  Was the auto exposure mode of this new wonder unable to give an accurate exposure in these situations??

Image 8 which is a "Macro" was shot with an EF-S60mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens at f8, ISO100 and one second exposure. On a tripod I assumed. The Shooting Mode: Aperture-priority AE.
I am not overly impress with this macro shot, I think the subject matter do not do justice to that lens?

Image 9 is labelled "New Zealand"! The EF-M18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM was again used @ f8, ISO 100; aperture priority and Picture Mode set to "Landscape".

Hmm... that's New Zealand?  Surely there are better landscape than this in The Land With The Long White Cloud ;)

How do you think the EOS M with EF-M18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM compare to my OM-D E-M with the Panasonic Lumix 45-175 4/5.6?  Take a look :)

I think I will be sticking with my Olympus OM-D E-M5 for a long while yet!

1 comment:

heather said...

Ample opportunity around Wellington to use your Olympus with our hills and harbour and of course the expansive seascapes.Would be great if you could capture the south islands Kaikoura ranges with their snow capped peaks.
New is not necessarily best. Stay with what works.